Monday, July 7, 2008

Great Indie Films You Never Cared About (80's)

Here's the second installment of my new series

1. Blood Simple (1983)

(No Quote)

The reason I put no quote for Blood Simple is because the entire film is based around using silence to build up the suspense. It may be the most effective thriller that Hitchcock didn't make. The best part about this film is that you don't really know what's going on until the characters find out what's going on. Frances McDormand plays a two-timing wife who's husband pays someone to stalk her. In case you didn't read my first post similar to this, you should know that I will not tell you anymore than the extremely basic plot. Beyond the minimal amounts of dialog and use of silence, it took the risk of creating a modern style ultra-noir-film. A nice fact is that this is the only film I know of where the director's cut is shorter than the theatrical film.

2. Fame (1980)

"I sing the body electric. I celebrate the difference in life. I toast to my own reunion. When I become one with the earth. And I'll look back on Venus. And I'll look back on Mars. And I'll burn with the fire, of ten million stars. And in time, and in time, we will all be stars."

Those simple lyrics give me chills each time. Fame is a musical of intertwining stories that is FAR better than the play and the television show. The film contains incredible songs such as "Fame," "I Sing the Body Electric," and (my personal favorite from the film) "Out Here On My Own." Fame is brilliantly acted and the direction is even better. A film teacher of mine once said that you can look at a film in two ways; a window or a painting. Director Allen Parker forces you to see Fame like watching a window. You are slowly drawn into everyone's lives and problems until it climaxes so brilliantly that you feel like your world is going to explode. It stretches on for 134 minutes and never drags; not for a minute.

3. Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

"And I quote, 'I don't believe in Beatles, I only believe in me.' Good point there, but then again, he was The Walrus."

We have all seen it. We all remember nearly laughing to death the first time we saw it. We don't remember what happens to Cameron at the end of it. You will probably think I'm crazy in saying that I believe Ferris Bueller's Day Off succeeds both as an 80's comedy, and as a coming of age drama. Cameron (in one of the last scenes) realizes that he's stuck with his father and decides to come up above it. He decides to live with whatever his father is going to do to him. It's about celebrating the people who improve our lives. Ferris causes Cameron to be more rebellious in a single day. You probably think I'm crazy already, but try watching it again with what I said in mind.

4. Stand By Me (1986)

"If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life? Easy! Cherry flavored PEZ."

Rob Reiner directed this between Spinal Tap and the Princess Bride, thus eclipsing Stand By Me. Based on Stephen King's novella "The Body" from the book Different Seasons. Stand By Me tells the story of four kids: one is an aspiring writer; another is the tough guy who's stands by the writer; another is the stereotypical fat kid; and the final one is a psychotic nerd with a shell-shocked father. They all hear about a body that was buried a far distance from where they live. They go out to find the body hoping that they become heroes but get mixed up with the teenagers who killed him. It tells us the story of friendship, loyalty, and above all, courage.

5. Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)

"The worst are the fundamentalist preachers, third-rate con men, telling the poor suckers that watch them that they speak with Jesus... and to please send in money. Money, money, money! If Jesus came back, and saw what's going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up."

You're probably saying that Hannah and Her Sisters got enough acclaim. I disagree entirely. If there is a critic who didn't give this at least 3½ stars, I consider it extremely under-appreciated. It's about Hannah (Mia Farrow) and her two sisters, Lee (Barbara Hershey) and Holly (Dianne Wiest.) Holly is a wreck who is an aspiring actress and former cocaine addict. Hannah was in a play for a while successfully and now settled down with Elliot (Michael Caine.) Elliot has a crush on Lee. Lee is a mess as well and is dating an extremely boring man (Max von Sydow) much older than her who is far more intelligent than she. Hannah's ex husband is infertile and a hypochondriac (Woody Allen.) Woody Allen writes and directs. If you watch this, look out for the scene where the three sisters are at a table in a restaurant about an hour into the film. My favorite shot occurs right then. The camera circles them perfectly, each of their faces slowly unveiled. The camera keeps on moving. I think I know what it symbolizes but it's much better off for you to decide for yourself.

No comments: