Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Best and Worst Remakes (Part 2)

Here's the worst remakes I can think of:

1. Psycho (1998)

"We all go a little mad sometimes"

Is that a quote from psycho or is it Gus Van Sant's excuse for making this? I am nearly speechless because I am thinking of this excuse for a movie (it doesn't deserve to be considered a film.) The best part of the original Psycho (1960) wasn't the script or the directing, but the acting. The whole point of Psycho is how tense the scenes between Norman and the Crane Sisters. It's acted so brilliantly that you feel like you're one of the characters. Not so much which the remake. The whole point of the Gus Van Sant remake is that they wanted to modernize it. In the first, Norman takes a peek and Marion Crane undressing. In the remake, he masturbates. Find that a slightly repulsive change? I know that I do.

2. Planet of the Apes (2001)

"Get your hands off me you damned dirty ape"

Rumor has it that's what the screenplay yelled at Tim Burton when he decided to direct it. The only good thing about this movie is that they at least tried to change it. They didn't just do a boring, horrible, shot-for-shot remake of the original. That's the only good thing I have to say about the remake. Now onto the bad. Mark Wahlberg (aka Marky-Mark of Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch) is not by any means Charlton Heston. I don't think he ever will. He clearly possesses little to no acting talent. After you see this, you will agree. Remember how I said it was good that they changed it a bit. They changed it a lot (including the infamous twist ending.)

3. The Omen (2006)

"Why'd you have to do it?"

I don't think I have to explain this quote at all. This movie is an absolute piece of crap. The only reason it isn't number one is because the Omen (1976) < Planet of the Apes (1968) < Psycho (1960.) I'm not sure there was acting in this movie. Or if there was a screenplay. Or a director. I think they just said "Hey, lets remake the omen!" And here it is. I can't elaborate anymore than that because I already stretched a bit to get this far...

No comments: